Lostford was described in the 1851 census as a small ‘Township’ with a few scattered houses. In a directory of 1891 it is noted as having been a Roman settlement – the site of an old villa here is known. The name may derive from Saxon times, with the name given of ‘loxford’; with ‘lox’ being an old word for Lynx, a cat like wild animal – apparently still roaming these parts at that time (6th/7th century AD).
Originally one of the members of Marchamley it was, before 1098, held under Rainald the Sheriff by Hunald, who granted two thirds of his tithes to Shrewsbury Abbey. It was later held by a family who took the name Lostford. It was then passed to the Audleys and was accounted a member of Red Castle.
Occupations listed in the 1851 census mention four farmers, one of whom was also a ‘cheese factor’.
- Lostford, Market Drayton, TF9 3LT